Monday, August 15, 2011

wild fire season?

I am originally from Wisconsin. I am a cheesehead, born and raised.
Where I am from we don't really have to worry about wild fires. 
Buildings catch fire in WI, but not so much the landscape. At least not to my knowledge.


Then we moved west.
We first lived in Jackpot, NV and I woke one morning and could smell smoke. I searched the house and found nothing. So I looked outside and lo and behold I saw this:


I made a frantic call to my father in law and asked him if the hills were really on fire or if I was just imagining it.
He laughed at me and said, yup, the hills are on fire, but not to worry the BLM will be here soon if it gets too close to town.
Now, distance is deceiving here in the west. What looks to be only a hop skip and a jump away is actually miles away, and the fire I could see from my back yard was about 15 miles from town.
So what did my curious self do? I jumped in the truck and drove around to get pictures:







It only took about 2 days for the BLM to show up and start fighting the fires. They camped on the lawn of the school in town, and amazingly enough, I felt a lot better knowing they were there. 


We are now in Utah and we still have wild fire season. I feel lucky to be living in a town, in a subdivision, thats far enough removed from the "wild" that the fires are something we watch at night and we don't worry about our property being damaged.
But others aren't always so lucky.

No comments: